Washington Leisure Centre
Contractor: Pelikaan Construction
Sector: Sport and Leisure
Washington Leisure Centre was a brand-new facility opened in 2015 after an £11 million investment by Sunderland City Council.
It was built on the site of the existing leisure centre and with a more welcoming and friendly atmosphere, this exceptional new facility provides a modern and safe environment, designed to encourage participation in a wide variety of indoor and outdoor sports and leisure activities.
The facility includes:
- A six-lane 25 m main pool
- A learner pool with a water feature and two water slides
- A four-court sports hall
- A health suite with a sauna and steam rooms
- A spinning room
- A 100-station wellness centre
- 2no. Squash Courts
- Trampoline Hall
- Exercise Studio
- 6no. floodlit five-a-side synthetic football pitches
- Soft Play Area
A number of space heating types were employed as below:
- Swimming Pool – Space heating and ventilation provided by packaged air handling unit
- Squash Courts, Changing areas and Health Suite – Underfloor heating systems
- Sports Hall and Trampoline Hall – High level gas fired radiant heaters.
- Offices, Meeting rooms, Medical room, Cafe, reception, Soft Play, Wellness Centre, Exercise Studio and Spinning room – Space heating and cooling by a number of VRF heat recovery type systems.
- Atrium and first floor changing areas – Low surface temperature radiators.
Mechanical supply and extract ventilation systems incorporate heat recovery technology and low energy fans.
The systems are controlled by a building energy management system to provide efficient and safe operation of the facility.
All water outlets have low use taps and fittings which comply with BREEAM 2011.
Proximity detection shut-off valves are installed to the cold water supplies to each toilet area to prevent water wastage from leaks and from vandalism.
Proximity detection sensors are installed at all changing room showers to avoid unnecessary water wastage when not in use.
Lighting to the changing areas, toilets, offices, spinning room and exercise studio is controlled via ceiling recessed presence sensors which automatically switch the luminaires off after a set period of time.
The facility achieved a BREEAM ‘Very Good’ rating and an EPC ‘B’ rating.
Swimming Pool with 2no. Flumes
Synthetic Football Pitches
You might also be interested in these